Saturday, October 3, 2009

Given a Chance, They Can Do Anything

A friend of mine recently sent me this video. Some of you may have already seen it, but I wanted to share it for those of you who may not have. It touched a special place in my heart because I have a 15 year old son with autism. I've spent years fighting with the schools to let him be involved in the "normal" activities that are given to other students, only to be met with much friction and negativity. No one believed that Joshua was capable of great things--except his mom and dad. We didn't give up.

Today he is in a Special-Ed class for most of the day, but participates in all the activities with his peers. He was even on the home coming decorating committee and did a fantastic job. AND, he's loved by the students there. They all go out of their way to make him feel like he is special and that he belongs.

Okay, now for the video. Get out your tissues, ladies. You're going to need them.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome Christine! My 18yr old brother is autistic. My mom mainstreamed him through school. High school was a bit challenging for him, but he was able to graduate this year. I'm so proud of him. Now we need to help him find a job and then figure out what he wants to go to college for. He is so neat, autistic children definately have a wonderful spirit about them!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails