Wednesday, December 15, 2010

So Here's the Parallel

Watch this video first...



Okay, so here's the parallel. As I watched this music video, I couldn't help but liken it to the art and practice of writing. At least for me, the process begins with a small spark of energy, an idea, a possibility for a story. Then it takes on a life of its own, crashing into things, veering in new directions, all the while causing new and different reactions in the surrounding story. But did you notice something? Every step built on the drama of the one before. Almost before you could process what just happened, the next great twist came and you went on another bit of the roller coaster.
This same process is what makes a great book. Constant, surprising movement that keeps the reader strapped in, glued for the duration of the ride.

Hopefully, I can do the same, someday, with my own work.

Happy Writing!

(Reposted from my personal blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails