Monday, July 9, 2012

Are You Stuck in the Middle?


If you’re at all like me, you get a great idea for a story, you think up some fabulous characters, then you figure out the end, then you’re stuck trying to figure out how to get your characters from Point A to Point B, which just seems like a lot of sigh-inducing work.

If you feel that way, I’m going to recommend this great blog post to you: Rehabilitating the Reputation of the Middle by Deren Hansen over at Utah Children’s Writers. He talks about the importance of that middle- it’s the keystone in the arch that holds it all together, giving you a secure and worthwhile journey from Point A to Point B. He also reminds us not to stuff our middles with fluff. Good for Winnie the Pooh, not so much for our stories.

Is your WIP stuffed with fluff or packed with juicy revelations??

3 comments:

  1. I actually just plotted for the first time ever BECAUSE my middle was starting to feel fluffy. I was losing the important stuff and just generally getting lost one my journey.

    But now I have a plan! Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am stuck in the middle. I appreciate the advice. My goal is to get out of the middle this summer.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails