Saturday, July 6, 2013

Saturday So What: Binge Behavior

Hi, my name is Betsy, and I'm a binger. I've known it for a long time, but it's time to be open about it.

Binging is a practice of devouring mass amounts of something.

I first noticed it with food. My tummy never up and said, "Hey stop! I'm full." As most of you know by now, with a lot of work I have been able to conquer the overeating, but I haven't really changed the behavior itself.

I'm an not one of those people that would say "Oh, I'm reading that book.". That's because once I open it, I don't put it down until I'm done - as opposed to the reading it over the course of a month approach.

Then Netflix came around. Now I never have to wait week to week to see what happens on shows, I can watch the whole season in a matter of days.

The reason this is pertinent, is because I've noticed, I'm a bit of a binge writer. I do really well on focusing large quantities of time, ignoring everything else, and giving the computer mass amount of my words to consume. I've tried writing 300 words here, 250 more later, but for me, I have trouble staying in the tone and keeping it consistent when I come back to it. So I devote a few months to doing almost nothing but writing. From 9-9 with a few little breaks in between to feed kids or take them to lessons. It's stressful, hectic, and at the end I am positive that I never want to write again because I am so burned out. But then, time passes, and I'm ready for another story.

For the story I'm working on now, I am trying to tamp down that behavior a little. Instead of writing 12 hours a day, I'm trying to think of it like a semi- full time job instead. So far, I'm not nearly as productive as I'd like to be. But my kids are also able to have a little more mommy time.

So here's what I want to know: are there any more bingers out there? In anything? And is it truly a destructive behavior or is it alright to let it have its uses?

4 comments:

  1. Reading this was like reading about myself. I'm a binger. I've always thought of it as addictive behavior, but I like the term "binging" better. Right now I'm on Veronica Mars, second pass. And no matter what I'm doing, I'm thinking about when I can get back to watch the next episode. You should feel honored, too, because I paused VM in order to write this. :) While I watch, (and fold clothes-my excuse) I eat chocolate.
    When I'm in writing mode, it's the same thing. All I think about is when I can get back to continue writing.
    So, yes. My name is Stacy, and I'm a binger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely more of a binge person when it comes to media, and I kind of wish I were more of a binge person when it comes to writing. I write faaaaar too infrequently--and read/watch movies faaaaaar too much. Sigh.

    But I would imagine that--with a tiny bit of self-control--binge writing is probably pretty awesome. So go you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, I’m planning a “writing sprint” for MMW on Monday night. Sounds like it will be perfect for you. Come, embrace the binge... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a binge writer too. I love to isolate and write for hours, until my eyes are sore and there's no circulation in my legs! I binge on LOST DVDs too. I get so absorbed, can't get away. I do this a bit w/ food too, I guess. This post got me thinking....thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails