Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Reading out of your Comfort Zone

by Anna Jones Buttimore


A friend joined a book club because she loved reading, and read several books a week, but all within certain same genres: sci-fi, fantasy, dystopian. Recognising that it was probably time to widen her interests, she hoped that having to read books she wouldn't usually have chosen for the book club might broaden her horizons and introduce her to some new authors. Needless to say, it did.

She later convinced me to join. Through that book club I discovered some of my favourite books, including "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series by Alexander McCall Smith, which I highly recommend but would never have chosen for myself. I am currently reading through Maya Angelou's seven-volume autobiography. Again, not something I would ever have thought I might enjoy.

If you find yourself always in the same section of the library, looking at the spines of books by known and trusted authors, why not try branching out a little? You never know, there could be some real gems just waiting to be discovered.

If you need a little more encouragement, take a look at this 2015 Reading Challenge, or ask friends and family for their recommendations. Or you could even join a book club.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails