Sunday, January 8, 2012

Guest Post: Kasie West!!!


Wow. Has it been three years since the start of this blog?? I don’t believe it. That time went by in a heartbeat and yet it feels like ages ago. So Nikki asked me to recap what I’ve been up to since I left MMW.

It feels like so much has happened. Since leaving, I have changed agents, sold my book, Pivot Point, and its sequel to HarperTeen, and am now patiently (sometimes) waiting for it to come out at the end of 2012. I should’ve waited to say this part of my life until the end because what am I supposed to say to top that, right? I truly feel so blessed and know how hard this step is to achieve. I never thought it would happen.

My advice (the thing that kept me going through rejections and struggles) is to just keep writing. If you’re querying something, start writing something else. If you’re on submission with something, write something else. Keep writing, keep trying, and keep living. Surround yourself with supportive people and be willing to listen to critiques and learn from others. Okay, I’m really not an advice giver, so that’s the best I have.

That’s the writer part of my life. As for the mommy part. My oldest daughter became a teenager this last year. For those of you who have survived teenage daughters, I look to you as proof that it can be done. And if you hear me walking around singing “I Will Survive” you know why. My youngest turned five in December and I overheard him tell the neighbor kid the other day: “You’re going down, B.” Only the B wasn’t a B. It was the actual word. Sigh. I guess that’s what happens when I let my five year old watch Avatar. Just like in the writing part of my life, I’m still learning in the parenting part as well. That’s what life’s about, trying to do better.

I love what I do. I love being a mom to four amazing children. And I love writing. Thanks for allowing me a spot on your blog again for a day. Congratulations on the three year mark!

5 comments:

  1. We sure have missed you, Kasie! It's great to hear how well you are doing! Good luck with your book. You'll have to come back and tell us all about it when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kasie, I have a daughter who just turned five in December as well . We also had problems with her language after she watched avatar. We now have a version that edits the language.

    You were still writing on MMW when I happened by for the first time. It was nice to read what has been happening with you. Look forward to your book release.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for your book to come out! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. I love to see what people are up to years later. congrats on your success. I think I fall short on keep writing. I'm stuck on my story (I love it, don't get me wrong) but i need to keep writing when I'm stuck on it. There are so many things buzzing through my mind. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us.--Tiffany Williams

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, the blog ate my comment. Unless for some reason it is waiting to be approved. Sigh. Well, how am I going to remember the brilliant things I wrote to each of you. You'll just have to trust me, they were brilliant. (Unless this is the second comment due to the whole 'waiting for approval thing' and then you'll see that they were probably just average comments).

    Okay, let's try this again. Thanks for having me MMW.

    Amber, good idea, I'll have to find an edited for language version. We've just taken it away from him but he loves the movie. And yes, I remember you from way back when on here. And now I see your fun updates on facebook. Good to say hi again. :)

    Steph, thanks so much.

    Tiffany, I'm the same way. I get stuck sometimes and it freezes me. Some times the only way I get through it is to give myself permission to suck until I get past the block. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails