Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Armor of God


I was fortunate enough to attend LTU&E 2010 this past week. It was so amazing! One of the panels I went to was called "Why Mormons in Fantasy". There were lots of discussions about this topic and how our faith isn't challenged by the fantastical. But I was way too shy to pipe up and say why I think so many Mormons write fantasy, so I'll tell you. The gospel teaches us that we are in a daily battle with Satan. We are taught to slay the metaphorical dragons in our lives using the weapons of faith and truth. This makes the jump into fantasy almost a given.


We read in the bible about putting on the armor of God.


Ephesians 6:13-17

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:


One of the best ways for me to stay faithful is to always remember that I am engaged in battle. Which pretty much means I'm in my own epic story everyday of my life. We are our own heroes as we call on the power of the priesthood, use the guidance of the spirit, and follow the example of our Savior.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

5 comments:

  1. I love these thoughts, Nikki! I feel the same way. Even more exciting, we believe that we're taking part in the final rising action to the major climax of all time!

    Mormons are mystics. We believe in miracles. We're steeped in story from the time we are born. Symbolism, metaphor, and parables are our native language. We have a sense of the sacred. I think all these things lend themselves well to creating awesome fantasy novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great points, Nikki. I agree. It was fun to meet you this weekend at LTUE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kimberly, it was so good meeting you too. I like that I can put a face to people's blogs now! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki, you ladies were so sweet to me at LTUE. I sure was glad to meet you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I should have signed that post. MT doesn't say a lot, does it? :)
    michelleteacress@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails