Sunday, February 7, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?



About eight months ago, my husband and I were at the temple when he felt we really needed to start a garden. He began to dream about how he should do that. My job (the one I hated) enabled us to spend the money on dirt, sprinkler system, seeds, etc. We (and when I say "we" I mean my husband) built a fence, a retaining wall, and spent alot of money on 1o tons of dirt. We had a beautiful patch of dirt. But then it just sat there for months.


Last weekend, my husband said he was going to work on the garden. I, having grown cynical over the whole endeavor, couldn't help but snort and say, "It's not a garden, it's an expensive patch of dirt!" Then my husband stopped and looked at me and said, "It IS a garden. If I don't think of it as a garden, then it NEVER will be."


His simple statement hit me like 10 tons of dirt. It's so true that we have visualize something in our heads before we can bring it into being. I learned a long time ago that if I don't see myself as a writer now (even though I have nothing published or haven't won any awards) or I never will be a writer. Same with our stories, we have to see them as published books or they never will be. But it doesn't end there. If we don't see our potential as daughters of God, then we will never reach it. Let's not grow cynical and let's see the world around us as it could be, only then can we make dreams come true.
(These are really pictures of my garden. My husband's vision actually came to life, and I couldn't be happier!)

9 comments:

  1. Oh, lovely post. The power of belief. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is such a powerful concept.

    In most professions, you get a certificate or a degree that lets you know you've made it. In writing, you have to DECIDE it for yourself, I AM A WRITER.

    Beautiful garden, by the way. Long may it grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vision. It's a true gift. Congratulations on your lovely garden--and your lovely self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great post. I struggle to claim that I am a writer, and it's something I need to get over. I'm not published, but I am still a writer. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really needed to hear this today. Thanks for being inspired to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Nikki! This is awesome! Thank you! And can I just say how wonderful Mike is?

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so true that you have to visualize your goal before it comes true. Thanks for the great analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post. I love your husbands simple response. positive thinking goes a long way in all aspects of life.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails