Monday, February 8, 2010

Why We're Here

When I got the New Era in the mail I quickly opened it up to devour the quick little inspirational stories. I always find the most amazing articles when I have a quick moment to spare. This article was particularly inspiring to me because of it's scripture reference. It was about a young man who was experiencing peer pressure at work and thought about giving in so that he wouldn't loose his job. Then a scripture came to his mind:
"I, even I, am he that comforteth you: who art thou, that thou shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, and of the son of man which shall be made as grass; and forgettest the Lord thy maker, that hath stretched forth the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth?"
(Isaiah 51:12-13)
The young man went on to say:
,Immediately I knew that I should fear God, not my co-workers or my boss. I also realized that my purpose on earth is not to earn money but to grow spiritually. So I answered my co-worker,"I will choose my belief, and you should respect it."
If you are ever worn down by the pressures of the world in regards to your writing or any aspect of your life, remember this scripture. I shared it with my children and will remind them of it often in hopes that it will help us remember why we are here.

4 comments:

  1. That's a great scripture and a powerful story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very powerful story. Thank you so much for sharing. My favorite scripture goes right along with it. 2 Timothy 1:7-8.

    7 For God hath not given us the spirit of afear; but of bpower, and of clove, and of a sound mind.
    8 Be not thou therefore aashamed of the btestimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

    I can't tell you how often I have to repeat this one in a day. You'd think I'd have learned not to fear by now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mary!! This scripture was PERFECT for tonight. My daughter had friends telling her she was annoying and they didn't want to hang out with her anymore. I was able to share this scripture with her and let her see that man's opinion isn't as important as God's. I think it helped!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a true statement! Thank you, Mary.
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails