Thursday, June 9, 2011

Judge a book by it's cover!

I know the old saying goes that you can't judge a book by it's cover, but that doesn't stop us all from trying.  Let's face it, when your perusing the shelves and shelves of books at a bookstore, the covers are what draws your eye.  Your mind makes snap decisions from what you see and whether or not your hand reaches out to turn the book over and read the description.For example, if I'm looking in the romance section and see covers that are steamier than my sensibilities, my eyes pass right over it because I'm assuming it has more graphic love scenes than I would like.  This may or may not be true, but I do make that snap judgment.  Now you may think that ebooks rely less on covers but you would be wrong.  Your cover still makes the first impression and you have another obstacle in your way.  Your cover is in small thumbnail size when your prospective reader first sees it.  You need something that will catch their eye enough to have them click on it to see the picture close up and then they have the description staring them in the face as well. 
I've been listening to "The Appendix" podcast lately and one thing they talked about in their self-publishing episode, was the things you should pay money for when self-publishing.  The cover was one of those items they strongly suggested. 
Now, you may or may not remember that our "Totally Cliche" has just finished which means that along with judging the stunning entries, we have a ebook to prepare.  Part of our goal is to take you with us as we explore the world of self-publishing an ebook.  And a big part of that is picking the cover!  We are lucky to have amongst us a wonderful artist in Elizabeth Mueller.  She has graciously created three different book covers and we want you to vote on your favorite. 

Choice #1 is "Mommy Writer" 




Choice #2 is "Pot 'O Gold"


Choice #3 is "Riding into the Sunset"








Which cover draws your eye the most?  Which one would get you to click on it?   I am putting the covers on the sidebar along with a poll for you to click on the one you like the best.  Be sure to weigh in and let us know your favorite!

10 comments:

  1. My vote is for mommy writer. I think people will understand what the book is really about with that picture. It make me want to see more because I have seen myself in the exact same place :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to vote on the poll and not just in the comments!! The poll is what we will go with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm... I see the pictures in the sidebar, but must be completely missing the poll link??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weird. The poll didn't show up until AFTER I posted my above comment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I voted for Mommy Writer. I just want to open up the book and read, Its very inviting, and shows there could be comedy involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also voted for Mommy Writer. I think Riding into the Sunset is very striking, but I'd think it was a western.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think there's anything much more cliche than a cowboy riding off into the sunset! I vote for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't hate me--i didn't like any of them. I feel bad saying that because I know they were drawn by someone in the group, and we all know how we feel about our own creations. Maybe you could have an e-book cover contest. Why not, since this is started out as a contest . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love hearing everyone's opinions on this subject, and I like how diverse they are. Even if I'm being out voted as we speak. (I like the sunset one!). It's also interesting to hear if you don't like any of them. Some people prefer the more photographic type covers or some other style. That's completely ok. As authors we have to be aware of different opinions and realize that we won't reach everyone with our covers. I think we need to focus on our audience and be aware of their preferences, but in the end (if we're self publishing) we have to be happy with our product. Keep the votes and comments coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's interesting that this was posted today. Just yesterday, while sifting through a list of around 300 new free kindle books that had just been posted, I commented to my husband about how I relied on a combination of the title and the cover art to determine which ones I wanted to actually read the summary of. Subconsciously, I assume that a book with a really amateur cover will probably have amateur writing as well. And, like you, I often use the cover art to eliminate a lot of books due to it looking too much like a racy romance.

    anyway, i like them all, but I'll keep my vote quiet at the moment... :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails