Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Premonitions

I'm sure I always dream, but sometimes they're more memorable than others. This morning I had one that I had to share. It was full of the normal weirdness that inhabits dreams, the peripherals a twisted combination of my life and dreamscape. But the one thing that stood out was that I was under a writing deadline. I have a couple of books that I'm working on--and struggling with--right now. And I was still struggling with it in my dream, knowing that I'd been doing too much thinking and not enough writing.

And then the ultimate dream happens: an agent calls and says "I love your stuff...do you have more? Send me everything you have." This probably won't happen, but a girl can dream, can't she?

But I spent the rest of my dream freaking out because I was trying to find time to sit down and write, but all kinds of emergencies kept coming up, keeping me from my writing. And I knew I had a few months of writing left to do, but the agent wanted right away, and I wasn't getting it done.

When I woke up, even though the book I thought I was writing in my dream was NOT what I am working on right now, the impetus to work on what is on the front burner drove me right out of bed and to the computer to write down the ideas that were rattling around in my brain for the various chapters. And I feel much better. :)

So I've discovered a truism: It's a lot less stressful to do the work than to stress over the work you have to do.

So go and do!

2 comments:

  1. So true! The problem comes when it's bedtime and that impending list of stuff hangs over you.

    I love how dreams can inspire us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I hate those dreams! I go to sleep so I can stop stressing.
    S.B. Niccum
    Author Website
    Blog

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails