Friday, June 22, 2012

I Slept In But I'm Calling it Research!

This week has been one of huge adjustments to my personal schedule. Monday I started a part-time job, and getting home late and exhausted every night has messed up my mornings. My great plan to be up at 7:30 so I can have a morning with my kids and start work (writing) at 10am got flushed.

But I haven't given up. Neither, apparently, has my brain. (I'm really hoping once I adjust to the schedule I'll get up and write again.)

Early this morning I started dreaming about a fantastic new main character. I'm going to blame my sis-in-law and our feverish plotting of our joint blog tour this coming September--her first book and my second-ish--because MEL writes about pirates. Yep, you guessed it--I had a pirate dream.

My main character was amazing. Feminine but tough, sassy but stylish. She had a best friend who disapproved in an I-love-you-and-don't-want-to-see-you-killed sort of way, and also the best friend hated seeing the main character dress like a man as she did before battle. And the MC had a love--a man who supported her and felt she ruled his world. I think he was a pirate too, or at least a privateer.

The world they roamed was one of fantasy--like Earth of old but with some definite extras. So describing it was a mixture of the familiar and unusual. And she had a ship and a loyal crew. But one flaw my MC has is she relies heavily on being underestimated--and you know that's the sort of thing that will come back and bite her in the end. Eventually someone WON'T underestimate her, and then she'll really be in trouble.

I woke up a few times during the dreams but was always able to refresh her in my mind. So I lay there for extra long trying to iron out the details I wanted to keep--and pull some essentials from my subconscious. Like her name. Which, unfortunately, has been lost in the recesses of my mind.

So, yes. I slept in this morning. But I'm calling it research. :)

4 comments:

  1. I love that kind of research, especially if I can retain details of my dreams, which normally I can. Sounds like a great adventure. Haver fun writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, that will bite her in the end in more ways than one! And I gladly take the blame for anything piratey that I influence amongst the scallywags and landlubbers. Arrgh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. web designers in uk
    Excellent Working Dear Friend Nice Information Share all over the world i am really impress your work Stay Blessings On your Work...God Bless You.
    web designers in bradford
    used bikes in london

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, FUN! Dream stories are the best.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails