Sunday, June 3, 2012

What's Writing Without a Little Music?

     Ashley and I grew up surrounded by music. We both had piano lessons. Ashley plays the flute and oboe. I played the clarinet and still play piano when I find the time. We grew up with a mom that sang to us, a grandma that had a song for ever situation and occasion, and a family that cherishes music and it's influence.  I believe that the kind of music we listen to is as important as the kinds of books we read. Music effects us just as much as the words we read. It touches us and influences our moods, connecting with our emotions.  I love a wide variety of music from classical to country to oldies & rock n' roll, and alternative rock and most everything in between. I love new stuff as well as  the old. My favorite is what I call "happy summer time music." These are the songs (could be any genre) that make me jump and dance around my house with a big goofy grin on my face. (I'm sure if the neighbors could see me they'd think I was a little nutty...but that's OK!)  I have found that when I'm writing, certain music helps my brain to work smoother, allowing ideas to flow. Sometimes the kind of music I listen to when I write is determined by what is going on in my current WIP. Other times I find the best music to listen to while writing is the music playing in my mind. (does that make me sound too crazy?!) When I write or think of the story I'm working on I see it playing in my mind like a movie, and in my experience there's never been a good movie that didn't have music playing.  Is there a certain song or kind of music that helps you write?

1 comment:

  1. I'm a weirdo- music helps me feel creative, but I can't listen to it while I'm writing! Maybe it's because I'm a musician, but I can only have music playing when I'm not trying to do anything else with my brain, because if I'm listening to music my brain gets wrapped up in that and I can't think!

    I do, however, love to listen to music in the car and I have various playlists on my iPod for my favorite books and WIPs, so I can think about them when I'm not reading them or working on them. I'll listen to a song that reminds me of my MC and suddenly get flashes of inspiration and insights that I hadn't thought of before. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails