Friday, November 2, 2012

No-No NaNo!

As much of a good girl as I am, I've probably been a tad more rebellious than I should have been. Sounds like a contradiction, huh?

A year or so ago, my husband related to a coworker the story of how my young women leaders (ages ago when I *was* a YW) tried to discourage us girls from wearing all black to church. They gave many reasons why they felt it was inappropriate, but my nicest clothes were black and I've always looked good in that color. My skirts weren't short. My tops not tight. I felt their quibble about the color was out of place. At least we were attending, right? I could have been in bed on a Sunday morning like my brothers, or sitting at the TV. Instead I was at church. So I blew them off, wore what I wanted, and secretly smiled at the pursed lips and disapproving looks.

The coworker (of my husband) was impressed that I lived my standards but still rebelled. I never saw it that way. I'm sort of a do-it-my-way person. I've found a system that works for me and I'm good with it.

Why am I telling you this? Well, it sort of leads into what I'm doing this month. You see, while everyone else seems to be on the NaNoWriMo wagon, that particular plan isn't going to work for me. Rather than not participating at all, I'm joining a few of my fellow "rebels" for Tristi Pinkston's No-No NaNo.

If you haven't met her, or don't know her books, Tristi is a genius. As well as being a talented author and editor, she does wonders to motivate her fellow writers--me being one of them. I have three books I need to finish before February (at least rough drafts) but I've started on each of them at least a little, so I can't technically fit into the traditional NaNo standard. Tristi's No-No NaNo is perfect for me this year.

So, if you've been on the fence about this month, or feeling a tad bit of envy for those writers with the chance to start a brand new project Nov 1--come join us! It's going to be fun!

2 comments:

  1. Cheri- you've never met Tristi?? I have met Tristi - and yes, she IS a genius! (brownie points for me!)And she's also one of those honestly likeable down-to-earth people.

    I'm with you on this one - the guidelines for the "official" NaNo didn't work for me either. I've signed up for Tristi's NoNo as well. We can be NoNo Buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've met Tristi. I've shared cheesecake with Tristi lol. She's awesome. Yay, a NoNo Buddy! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails