Sunday, January 18, 2009

Favorite Writing Tips

Ok, so let's make the workshop for the week to share our favorite writing tips. Go to the comment section and tell us the best writing tip that worked for you. It can be an internet link, the name of a book, or just a tip. I'll start. My favorite writing book is "Becoming a Writer" by Dorothea Brande. It was written in the 1930's and it was absolutely what I needed. Her book talks about the magic of writing. She says that so many new writers find themselves taking classes or trying to talk or just be near published writers because they are so sure there is some sort of secret magic to writing that with enough training or exposure it will rub off on them. She goes on to say that many people are discouraged by the opening chapt., or class where it is stated that genius cannot be taught. They usually think this means they don't have it, so they shouldn't try. Dorothea Brande says this is absolutely false, she believes there is a magic to writing and it CAN be taught! After reading her book three or four times (I'm a slow learner) I agree with her. I CAN be taught, because I finally learned it! The secret is learning to THINK like a writer (among other things). It really is a must read if you find yourself starting to write, wanting to write, or just plain stuck. I also love Shannon Hale's "On Writing" section of her website. The link is on the right side of this blog. Please share your thoughts!!
Thanks! Nikki

2 comments:

  1. I just found this blog throough my sister-in- law Joy and it sounds like fun! I am a Mormon Mommy Writer as well. I just got an agent and she has done wonders. I sent her my book and she wondered if I had anything else. I sent her those ideas and now we are in full proposal mode! She has already talked with several editors that want a full proposal. I am very excited! My blog is www.olsens7.blogspot.com I would love to hear from you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see. The thing that has helped me the most is something Kasie and I were talking about the other day. 1 - surround yourself with other writers and help each other and 2 - don't get too caught up in lots of critique and feedback from non-writers. It is possible for a work to be over-edited. Th-th-that's All Folks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails