Friday, September 18, 2009

NaNoWriMo


It still surprises me how many writers don't know about National Novel Writing Month. It starts in November and goes for the full month. The goal is to write 50,000 words in 30 days. It sounds crazy, I know, but it is very vital in teaching us to just write!! I've only attempted Nanowrimo twice and I didn't finish either time, but I did enjoy the freedom to write, write, write, and to give myself permission to not edit. It is fun and exciting. This year, I would really like to attempt it again. Imean, it's not like I have any current writing projects that would get in the way. The only problem is that I have no ideas for a new story, so I am using morning writing and writing excercises to prompt a story idea for November. Here is the link to learn more about Nanowrimo. Who wants to join me? Do you already have an idea of what you're going to write? Do you outline before? How do you prepare?


Also, since I'm needing writing exercises, I want each of you to write a noun and a verb in the comment section. Then I will write them on separate pieces of paper and randomly choose out one of each when I get stuck. I will then try to incorporate those words into a sentence, or if I'm lucky, into a whole paragraph or story. Feel free to do the same! Thanks everyone!

10 comments:

  1. Noun: knell
    Verb: exsanguinate

    Hm. Can you tell I write murder mysteries/thrillers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about doing NaNo for a while now. I have a friend who did it and loved it.

    Noun:Masque
    Verb:accelerate

    ReplyDelete
  3. NaNoWriMo has always scared, yet intrigued, me. I had a wonderful excuse of a pre-school aged child to deal with in previous years. This year he's in full-day kindergarten. And I just learned yesterday that I can write nearly 4k words in one day just during the hours he's at school (thanks to 10k Day for Writers). I may have to move NaNoWriMo off the "try someday" list to "give it a go this year."

    Noun: parachute
    Verb: flicked

    ReplyDelete
  4. NaNoWriMo always seems to come when I'm in the middle of something else. Maybe someday. I would like to try it. This summer I dashed off 60k in two months at two hours a day, so I bet I could do 50k in one month once the baby goes to kindergarten.

    Noun: matinee
    Verb: yammer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like fun, Nikki! Count me in!

    sponge
    chew

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone, I can't wait to try your wonderful words, course I may have to look some of them up!!

    I'm excited so many of you want to Nano with me this year. Jenni, Sugoi, and Shanti all finished Nano last year! Maybe they can give us all some hints.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I forgot to add my words.
    Noun: Chopsticks
    Verb: Whine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved NANO last year! I'm so glad nikki talked me into it. Is wasn't sure if I'd be able to actually complete a mansuscript, since I was having company and hosting a ball that whole last week of november, but it worked. I finished The Northanger Affect in three weeks!

    Noun: laptop
    verb: RUN!

    ReplyDelete
  9. dragon
    usurp

    Cool! I wonder if I could write that many words without my muse!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm way late posting. busy busy busy. I can't wait for NANO!!! I loved it last year and I've got so many ideas floating around right now I just have to figure out which one to use. Sorry Nikki but I don't know if I can give pointers - do like dory and just keep swimming or writing in this case.

    noun: television
    verb: wishing

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails