Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Mormon Writers

Has "the Mormon moment" passed? Maybe in US politics, but certainly not in the literary world. I thought I might post a reminder of just how successful many Mormon writers have been on the international stage.

Stephenie Meyer is the author of the Twilight series which have sold over 100 million copies in 37 languages and been made into a series of very successful films.

Orson Scott Card is a best-selling science fiction author and the only author to win a Hugo and Nebula award in consecutive years. A film adaptation of Ender's Game is shortly to become the next big screen blockbuster.

Ann Perry is a prolific and popular writer who converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1968. She has sold over 26 million copies of her novels, none of which have ever been out of print.

Stephen R. Covey's book, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, has sold over 25 million copies worldwide.

Shannon Hale won the Newbery Honour for The Princess Academy and a film version of Austenland is currently in production.

Jason Wright has had two books on the New York Times best-seller list, and the film rights for Christmas Jars have been optioned.

Brenda Novak is one of the biggest selling romance novelists in the world, having sold over 3 million books and won numerous awards.

Then there's Brandon Sanderson, Richard Paul Evans, Glenn Beck, Brandon Mull, Gerald Lund, Tracey Hickman, James Dashner and a whole host of other authors who write for the national market and have become well-known household names. Unto such we aspire.

2 comments:

  1. Being a YA writer, I'm especially happy about all the Mormon YA novelists these days. Gives me hope. :)

    (Plus, Brandon Sanderson is epic. I mean, seriously. He's Brandon Sanderson. And I don't even like ginormous novels, but I love him! I could rave, but it will just start sounding creepy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale and I looooooove her. I read Austenland back before I was seriously thinking about writing, but I may have to read it again, because Midnight in Austenland was just SO much fun and SO awesome. Her style is amazing and her sense of humor is just perfect. :-) I can’t wait for the movie!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails