Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for Characters

Characters and the need for realistic and memorable characters has been on my mind a lot recently.   My manuscript has been on hold for a while because I haven't quite figured out one of my supporting characters.  His actions play a BIG part in entire novel.  And I don't understand all of what makes him tick. 

Because of my struggle, I have turned back to a book that I have put aside for way too long.  It is from the series Elements of Fiction Writing.  The instructional book is written by one of my favorite authors, Orson Scott Card,  and it is titled Characters & Viewpoint.  He is very insightful on how to distinguish your characters from others in the slush pile, as well as, how to develop characters your readers will love, or love to hate. 

If you are like me and you are looking to sharpen up your characters and their motivations get your hands on a copy and I'm sure you will not be sorry.

6 comments:

  1. I really need to start building a library of books about writing. This one sounds great- thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! One of my MCs really needs a bit of help...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen that one. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, nice post! Developing intriguing characters is always a struggle. It's good to find people of my faith in the bloggy world!

    This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the post, love the blog, come check out my Fav 5, your on it!
    A fellow mormon mommy,
    A.D.
    http://adduling.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/april-4th-a-d-s-fav-5-of-the-atozchallenge/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails