Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is for Overcoming Obstacles


The list of excuses on why you can't accomplish your goals grows longer by the second.  As a mother, I even hear my child blaming others for her mistakes, and I'm certain she has observed this response.

We have our obstacles, but an obstacle does not have to stop us in our tracks.  
The hardest obstacle to get around is ourselves.  


We can gripe, moan, and finger-point until the cows come home, but the truth of the matter is we will not complain ourselves into a better situation.  Even if our complaints are valid.  Life is not always fair.  We must sometimes take the hard road, while others never even had to travel to gain their reward.

If the weather man says it will be great day to visit the beach, but is thundering and lightening before your toes touch the sand; you can stand on the beach with your arms thrown up yelling how the weather man lied.  You would be very right, but more likely than not the storm will keep raging.  You, however, have the choice to come in from the rain.

You may not be able to get in the word count goals you had for the day, but that doesn't mean you can't write at all.  Our journeys as Mormon, as mommies, and as writers completed one step at a time.  The joy found in the journey is a personal choice. Today I challenge you to look the (wo)man in the mirror in the eyes and tell him/her that (s)he will not be allowed to stand in your way any longer.

 "It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

4 comments:

  1. What inspirational words! I love this, Amber. Just what I needed to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kasey. Most weeks I just write a post that I need to hear and hope everyone else benefits from it as well. :)

      Delete
  2. Good points, especially for me as I've been struggling lately to find the time for writing. I tend to wait until I have time instead of making writing its own event. No more! I say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go through waves where I'm furiously writing vs. times when I'm a pool of stagnant apathy.

    Mostly, I'm taking on too much.

    Thanks for the post!

    Alphabet Stalker @ prose-spective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails