Friday, April 13, 2012

L is for Laughter

This is my husband, Bryan. He didn't look like this when I married him...

Whenever a camera comes out in my house there is at least one goofy picture taken. Usually several. Why? Because laughter really is the best medicine. And I married into a family of jokers. And I'm raising a family of jokers.

I had a rather serious childhood, and I can tell you it didn't do me a whole lot of good. So while we have our serious moments, Bryan and I make sure we include time for fun and just plain silliness. Like this picture. Because it's good for us. And, like that old cliche, the family that plays together stays together.

As writers, I think we should consider laughter, and it's cousin, humor, as we write. There's a reason TV dramas have comic relief. Everyone needs to smile once in a while. And constant drama isn't good for us. I probably cite Harry Potter a lot, but some of my favorite moments are when someone inadvertently makes a joke, or the author makes a point of creating humor in a scene.

When I happen to be in the room when someone is reading one of my manuscripts or books, I am pretty good at ignoring them. Except when they laugh, giggle or chortle. I don't necessarily write humor, but I do have moments that ease or break the tension--and I do want to know if they are laughing at the same things that made me smile writing them.

So, laugh. Make your kids laugh. Tell a bad joke, or even a semi-good one. I don't know any great jokes unless I'm quoting someone else. But I will leave you with one my daughter told me:

"What do you call a handsome magnet?"
What?
"Attractive."

You smiled, didn't you? ;)

1 comment:

  1. Even when I try to be serious, somehow my brain just starts making jokes. Glad you see that as a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails