Monday, October 22, 2012

When God Closes a Door...

So, up until yesterday I was all geared up for NaNoWriMo. I had decided that now would be the time to get that fun story out of my head and onto my computer. I had started outlining, was planning on some character sketches this week, had already done a little preliminary research, warned my husband that I would be MIA for the next month, etc. I had decided that by December first I would be able to say, “I wrote a book."

And then I got the call.

Our stake has decided that, due to the prohibitive cost of travel with current gas prices, they are going to forgo the usual every-fourth-year Youth Conference trip to Palmyra, NY for the Hill Cumorah Pageant and instead put on their own pageant closer to home. Something on a grand scale- something epic and profound- two hours of music, costumes, dramatic lighting, the whole bit. The catch? They need a script. By December 15th. And they need someone to help the youth write it.

And so this post is brought to you by the new Script Writing Committee Chairperson for the yet-to-be-titled pageant to be put on by the youth of the Richmond Virginia Chesterfield Stake.

It’s really hard for me to be disappointed about NaNoWriMo because I know in my heart that this is what God wants me to do, and I know from experience that when I put God’s plans for me ahead of my plans for me, I usually end up in a much better situation than if I’d followed my own dinky ideas.

So I’m jumping in with both feet. My favorite part was when the High Council member who asked me to head up the committee said as he was leaving, “By the way, the Stake President feels the Lord has a very important message He wants to convey to the youth of our stake through this pageant. If you could pray about it and keep that in mind as you work on it, that would be great.”

Kasey’s Pageant Script Writing To-Do List:

1. Talk to God and find out what He’s trying to tell the youth.

Check.

Anyway, I am once again truly humbled by the way the Lord works in my life. I believe that the reason He planted that seed of desire in me to do NaNoWriMo was because He had this in store for me, and He needed me to mentally prepare myself for the pressure of doing something huge in a very short amount of time. He’s sneaky like that. But it’s okay.

People write books all the time. But epic pageants that bring a message from God to the youth, their friends, and an entire community? That kind of thing doesn’t happen very often. And I’m thrilled and privileged to be a part of it.

Now excuse me while I go panic...

Just kidding.

Kind of.

:-)






5 comments:

  1. Great post and a good reminder to keep God first in all we do. I know your book will still get written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your priorities are right on target.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! And good for you for recognizing the importance of putting God's will above your own. It is interesting the way He works sometimes, and it's always a wonderfully humbling experience when the Lord gives you a work to do, and you actually know what it is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. I know you'll do great! Sometimes it's fun to put your own plans on hold and see what the Lord has in store for you. His plans always seem to be bigger than our own. Scary, too. But always incredible in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is exciting and a bit scary! You will do so great.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails