Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Talking/Thinking Tuesday: Failing isn't the End

 
The Louvre

The Louvre started off as a palace and today is a museum.  But the art is more than just what the building houses.  The building is art itself.  I love this man sitting on the corner.  He looks so deep in thought.  It is a great reminder to me that we all need time to meditate and ponder our lives and the world around us.  

I have been thinking some lately (don't worry I try not to do that too often.)    The theme of my thoughts: the difference between quitting and failingIf you had to be a failure or a quitter which would you choose? 

Since this a time of year when many are setting new goals, I thought this might be a good time to share this thought with you.  There is a misconception made by many that if one fails there is no more trying.  If you don't get your workout in one day or you eat something bad, then you abandon ship.  If you had a set word count but got distracted by email and facebook, then you ignore the keyboard again the next day.  If your marriage is lacking the luster of a new relationship, then you think there is never chance for happiness.  (You get my point.)  It is easy to fail and then quit.  But you don't have to be both a failure and a quitter.
If the race is on and you are in last place, wouldn't you rather cross that finish line knowing you gave it your all, than always know you quit?

So my thoughts as I look at the picture above is, even if you are a failure-- don't be a quitter.

If you have the time to stop and think, what are your thoughts today?

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts are on the book I'm reading, "Life is Elsewhere", by the Czech writer Milan Kundera. I've been a Kundera fan for as long as I can remember. I'm also a fan of the Louvre without having been to it yet. :-) Many thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I like that. I think even if you don’t succeed, you have at least gained one thing: knowledge that can help you when you try the next time. They say hindsight is 20/20, and to me that means that every time you try- even if you fail- you get a clearer picture of what to do differently next time.

    I used to get so annoyed at Wile E. Coyote when I was a kid because every time he’d try a clever idea to catch the roadrunner and it would fail, he’s give up on it and try something else. I always wanted to scream, “Just try the anvil again! But this time make sure your leg is clear from the rope before you drop it off the cliff! It’ll work!!!” *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails