Monday, January 21, 2013

Go On and Steal My Show

Last week I posted an amazing video featuring President Uchtdorf’s words about being creative. I hope you don’t mind if I go along that same vein with today’s post.

In One Year to a Writing Life by Susan M. Tiberghien, she writes:

“A writing life springs from the one creative source that is within each of us. It is the same source in all spiritual traditions. For me, the source is God. For others it is Allah, the Tao, the Spirit. When we tap into this source, we become co-creators with our Creator. If the well is blocked, the water does not rise. But if we clear away the clutter, our creativity overflows and touches those around us.” (emphasis added)

With my Fast from the World this month, I have had the radio station in the car tuned to a Christian pop music station, and one of the songs I heard that made me smile is called, “Steal My Show” by TobyMac. The song is from the point of view of the singer, and he talks about preparing for a concert. The last line of the first verse says, “...but what we really need is You,” and then the chorus says, “If You wanna steal my show, I’ll sit back and watch You go/ If You got somethin’ to say, go on and take it away...”

I loved the message behind this song and how it goes right along with what Tiberghien and President Uchtdorf are saying. The key to tapping in to our potential as writers (or artists, or singers, or architects, or pilots, or teachers, or...) is to “become co-creators with our Creator.” He designed us for this. If we let Him, He will “steal [our] show”. And isn’t it safe to say that the show He’ll put on will be far better than anything we can come up with?

Just after Christmas I finished that script for the Stake Youth Conference Pageant. This was a perfect example for me of the Lord “steal[ing] my show.” We prayed, the concept came through inspiration, then I set about with the task of filling in the blanks (me heading the committee turned into me writing it- time constraints and logistics made it necessary). When I finished, I felt uncomfortable saying that I’d written it. It truly feels like it was just ‘there’ and I just typed the words that were given to me. It was time consuming, but it didn’t feel hard. When I prayed, the true Creator did all the work. I was just the scribe.

One of the things that I feel my “fast” has helped me to do is to “clear away the clutter.” The creativity has been flowing and I am more excited than ever to be a “co-creator with [my] Creator.”

So, Heavenly Father, “If you got somethin’ to say, go on and take it away”! I’ll be here with an open heart and fingers ready to type, type away... :-)

How can you “tap into [the] source” and let Him “steal [your] show”? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails