Wednesday, March 13, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Finished Being Fat by Betsy Schow

Yes, I'm reviewing a book by our very own Betsy, who is currently enjoying huge success with this book and the media spotlight that goes with it. Hope that's allowed. I'm relatively new here and haven't read the rulebook yet.

Guess what? It's completely deserved.

If you've ever read any of my blogs you'll know that I give honest reviews. I care nothing for the feelings of an author: if I want to tear a book apart, I will. Yes, I've lost friends that way. So I don't say this lightly. It's a great book. 

Admittedly it's not what I expected. I expected a diet book, with motivational tips, calorie charts and maybe the odd recipe. But you know, I've read enough of those, I really didn't need another one. This was much more useful. It's essentially Betsy's story of success, but beautifully and honestly written in a way which means that anyone facing a few too many pounds can really relate and apply her life lessons. Most importantly, written in a way that doesn't leave you in an anguish of jealousy at her success.

I took a lot from it, primarily "I can do hard things", but also many little nuggets. I can now run a mile (just one at a time, mind you) in twelve minutes. I had no idea, before reading Betsy's book, whether that was good or not. Now I know that for a woman in her mid-forties with sixty pounds to lose, that's not terrible. I have realised that it's OK to enjoy running. I had been convinced it was a horrible chore and the rush of triumph I felt as I staggered off the treadmill at the end (I run indoors) was just the endorphins. I had a lightbulb moment as I read that I like running, just as Betsy does. And now I might endeavour to do more of it. (But probably not a marathon. I'm aiming to run 5km by the end of the year. Thanks Betsy!)

I don't have a problem with finishing things (starting is more of an issue for me - maybe "Started being Slim" would be my book) and I don't have many of the challenges Betsy has faced, and yet the book was perfect for me, and was entirely what I needed. If Betsy can do it, I can do it. And so can you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails