Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tuesday Talkings: Writing on the Run

I am not a runner, but for the past 6 months I have be training and running events.  So far I have done a 5k and a 6k.  In two weeks, I have an 8k.  Regardless of all the time and money I put into participating in these races, I still hate do not love running.  Running on race day is easy because the crowd inspires me to push harder.  Running on my training days sucks.  Some days I get a friend to run with me and that helps to keep my mind occupied.  However, on days when I am alone it is easier to convince myself to give up sooner.

Recently, I have discovered that listening to Writing Excuses podcasts is a close second to running with a friend.  This weekend I caught up on most of season 8.  They discuss some great topics.  I particularly was intrigued by Season 8 Episode 8 Writing and personal health.  Robison Wells joined the group to share his struggles with mental health. And the group also talked about physical health and brought up standing desks.

The idea of a standing desk had never occurred to me.  I guess I must live under a rock.  For some reason the idea really intrigues me.  When sitting at my desk or even in my bed with a lap desk, my back often becomes sore.  Could this be the cure?  Brandon Sanderson even told how he made a tread-desk.  He can walk and write at the same time.  How cool would that be?  I would have to writing time to fit my training in.

When the muse strikes, a writer can spend hours sitting in one position just typing away.  We sometimes forget that even the task of writing can bring about physical aches.  It is paramount that we take care of our health, both mental and physical, so that we can be successful in using our talents.

Do your writing habits need an update?
Have you considered a standing desk?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I need new ideas! Not thought about a standing desk, bu I've heard of them. I'd be happy w/ a more comfortable chair. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails