Friday, November 1, 2013

Further Along the Journey

by Mare Ball Adventures in the Ballpark


The writing world is all a-twitter about NaNoWriMo, which starts today.  A writing frenzy has commenced, and hopefully, by November 30, writers will have a novel written.  Maybe a sloppy, typo-laden novel, but a good foundation and a complete idea to tighten and polish later.

I love this idea.  I'm writing non-fiction, so my month of writing frenzy is called NaNonFiWriMo.  Doesn't quite roll off the tongue like NaNoWriMo, but the spirit is in there.   I've actually been working on my book since September, but I'm hoping to finish it by November 30.  I think I can, I hope I can!  Writing a book really is like birthing a baby.  You get so weary of the labor, and when you think you might be done....nope, there's one more big push.

I enjoyed Kasey's recent post on the writing conference she attended.  She was a smart cookie to take business cards and her pitch for her book.  She came back fired up to finish her WIP.  Writing conferences are great, because you can talk to other writers who have also been holed up in a corner somewhere making their dream come alive.  You realize you are not the only one who works in your PJs some days and eats M&Ms for dinner.  

I've mentioned a few times I'm taking an author's marketing course.  My last class is Monday, and I've found it so helpful.  I also recently plugged into a seminar by Jack Canfield (author of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books.)  Marketing your book is a whole other field of study.  Writing the book is 10%.  Marketing is 90%.  Ouch.

Here are a few things I've learned:

1.   Jack Canfield's book proposal was rejected 144 times before he found a publisher.  I need to develop a thicker skin.
2.   Know your target market.  Who are you writing to?  Research titles that are similar.  Know your competition.
3.   Build a platform pre-publication.  This is where blogging is helpful.
4.   You need a promotion plan.  (A what? I said.  Then, I learned.)  What are you willing to do to sell your book?
5.  Publishers are looking for writers who will also be good business partners.  Publishing is a business
6.  To get published, you must be committed to it.  No matter what.   
7.  Once you have a publisher, be prepared to write your book again.  And maybe again.

If you're still with me....bravo.  I had a few bubbles burst during this marketing course.  I just wasn't being realistic about the publishing process.   But, the blinders are off now, and I'm hoping I can navigate the publication maze.

For anyone interested in the online/teleseminar/marketing course I took called Author's Training 101, you can find information here: NINA AMIR.

Nina Amir Nina offers all kinds of services to writers.  She's smart and quick to tell you the truth, which I appreciate.  Her class was an eye-opener.  I'm getting no kick-back for promoting her; I just wanted to share.  In fact, she doesn't even know I'm doing this. 

Here's to inspired writing for all who are going to have their bums glued to the chair this month! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails