Tuesday, April 28, 2009
LDS Storymakers Conference
Last weekend, I got to go to the Storymakers Conference. It was amazing. If any of you ever get the chance to attend, I would absolutely recommend it.
There were so many great classes, so many great people. It was just an awesome experience in every way. I thought I would post today about the Keynote Speaker from the conference.
Dean Lorey author of the Nightmare Academy.
He said there are four things that a good writer must do.
1 - Write
* Whenever you are at a loss, write... always write
2 - Protect your work
* Take feedback into consideration, but be true to your work
* Only institute feedback that will better the story
* With non-writers there are too types of feedback we should pay special attention to
A- I'm bored
B- I'm confused
3 - Focus
* one of the hardest things for writers to do
4 - Get people to read your work
* You must be able to accept, ponder and use criticism
Remember, YOU are the hero of your own story. Protect it and make it the best you possibly can.