Monday, February 23, 2009

Flush It!


I just recently had another coaching session with my Dad and he wanted to get caught up on the latest. I told him all the stuff I was doing and how I was getting discouraged. He was shocked! He asked what I was discouraged about and I told him that nothing was turning out as I'd planned. I finally heard back from 2 of the 4 publishers so far and one was interested in my parenting book idea (so I am now working on that proposal and writing the intro and first 2 chapters). I am also training for the L.A. marathon and I just ran 10 miles and it kicked my butt (it was very discouraging because it didn't feel good, it was one of the hardest things I've done). He asked me why that was discouraging and I told him that my worst fear was failure and I felt like I was riding the failure train all over again. I told him that I have tried soooo many things in my life that I seemed to fail....and yet I was glad I did them because it got me to where I was today! He them told me to write down what was holding me back/ discouraging me on a piece of toilette paper. So I wrote FAILURE in big bold letters on a piece of toilette paper. Then I was to go to the toilette and flush my failure down the toilette, let it go and move on! I did that and I actually felt a lot better. My writing hesitation is now gone, I ran the 10 miles and I am off the Failure Train and on the Success Express!!! So if you are feeling like taking a ride on the Failure Train....GET OFF and flush your failure/ fear / you pick a word for the way you are feeling and let it go, move on and take the Success Express with me. I've got a ticket waiting for you!!!




8 comments:

  1. Very inspiring. Your dad was right on the money. You are lucky to have such a cheerleader on your side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I sooo needed to hear that! It's so easy to get discouraged with my writing. Especially when I haven't been consistant. I need to figure out why I'm not continuing with my dream, and then FLUSH IT!! LOL! I love that idea! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you feel like a failure when you just ran ten miles??!!! I would be on top of the world if I could get my lazy bum to run two or three. ;) Seriously, I know that we all have high expectations for ourselves and what may seem like an achievement to others may not meet our own personal standards. Good for you for finding a way to get rid of those negative feelings and move toward success again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt like a failure on the 10 miler because I was and am soooo soar and tired from it! I still have 16 more miles to make a marathon! If 10 kills me ...what will 26 do? I have faith though. I still have 14 weeks left to train and this weekend is only 7 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome. I've always admired people who have the drive to train for a marathon. Thanks for your inspiring post. I fear failure too. So I start to self sabotage. I start to do things (like not send out enough queries) so that if I do fail, I have a good excuse for it. It's a bad, bad habit that I need to get out of. I need to accept road blocks as getting me one step closer to my goal. I need to board the success express and go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ACK! I need to do this! Seriously! And believe me the best things always are hard to do. If it was easy anyone could do it and it wouldn't be worth it. You're amazing! And how lucky for you to have such a wonderful father! Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderfully inspiring post! I think this is something all writers need to hear on a regular basis. Thanks for giving us a a cheery perspective on what to flush! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see your French poking through your post! I can't spell toilet right either, ever since Mrs. Gibson's French class! :oD hee, hee. That and calendar. Don't know where I'd be with spell check.

    Loved it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails