Sunday, February 1, 2009

Stand for Truth and Righteousness

2 Nephi 25:26

And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.


I feel as a newborn author that I was called to write. Why the Lord chose me, when it could've been any one else? I used to ponder a lot--especially when i was first starting 10 1/2 months ago and still hadn't learn to balance and juggle my writing and family. I found myself fascinated by the addictive qualities in writing and I couldn't wait to get on my computer to find out what would happen next. But I also resented that it took so much time from me... ei: sleep, friends, family, life! LOL!

Now, I'm resigned. Now I see my purpose as a writer becoming more and more clear every day. I am His missionary. I am spreading what millions of other writers try to do every single day, but can't. I feel strongly that my work is succeeding, because my characters stick to the Lord's values. He needs my work out there to battle against Satan--not to join his forces. Anyone can join Satan and write what millions of others do. I am writing against him, hence I am succeeding.

My characters attend church, they say prayers, they don't take the Lord's name in vain, and a curse word--no matter how vile the character is--NEVER gets placed in my MS. A character may swear without me having to type it. When I think of what an amazing calling (and burden) the Lord has placed on my shoulders, to give the youth of the world another option to read rather than the countless books with bits of Satan's influence scattered about them--when I think of that, I know why He called me. I know why I was meant to become a writer. Because I don't back down. I don't compromise who I am to fit in with the crowd. I NEVER have. I am the trendsetter. People follow me, not the other way around.

I encourage you all to look again through your manuscripts and find places where you can add bits of who you are in them. Add what you know, and what you believe. And when you do, I promise you, the Lord will bless you. You will succeed--and fly above the masses and hoards of writing below you--to Shine.

Take a stand and stand up for what you believe in.
Jenni James


Whew! I wasn't expecting to write this when I sat down at the computer. But, I'm too afraid of the Lord to change anything. I think now is time for me to go back through Mansfield Ranch, and add those churchy bits I planning to add later. (lol! I mean, I'll do it tomorrow, since today is Sunday! LOL!)


2 comments:

  1. Jenni, wow, thanks. It really is a mission that we're on. I do feel the youth are bombarded by bad influences every day. It is an honor to be on a mission to counteract those influences with good entertainment that is fun to read. I adore your books and I have no doubt that the reason you are finding success with them is because not only are they well written, but because they are good examples. You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said, Jenni. I too have made personal commitments to keep my books 100% free of swearing and other negative influences. Sometimes one of my characters really wants to take a different path, but I reign em in! ;)Youth are so easily influenced and can take even small negative influences in our writing as permission to do something that is not okay. Especially if they know we are Mormon. It's funny how it doesn't matter what you write (action, adventure, mystery, romance etc.), but it absolutely does matter how you write it! Youth (and adults) need wholesome entertainment. It one of the best parts of life! I'm so glad that your getting your work out there and being such a good example.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails