Thursday, February 12, 2009

Optimism


One of my favorite books in the world is a book written by the late prophet Gordon B. Hinckley called "Standing For Something." In this book he has an entire chapter about how important optimism is, and I must say that staying positive has carried me through a lot of life's trials. I think it is an important attitude to have in both the writing industry and also in parenthood. I would just like to share a few excerpts from the book.

"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we "accentuate the positive." I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort."

"We must walk with hope and faith. We must speak affirmatively and cultivate an attitude of confidence. We all have the capacity to do so. Our strength will give strength to others, and the cumulative, rippling effect will be tremedous......What wonders we can accomplish when others have faith in us! No leader can long succeed in any society without the confidence of the people. It is so with us in our daily associations."

I completely agree. When others have faith in me, I have more faith and confidence in myself. It is my goal to seek out the good more, to silence my criticism that seems to surface easier than my praise. I want to be the person that let's my children, my husband, my colleagues, and my friends, know that they can do and be anything they put their mind to.

2 comments:

  1. Me too! And you, by the way, have totally been an optimistic force in my life. Like the other day when I was feeling so down about writing, and you helped me find my motivation again.

    This is a good reminder. I find it too easy to be critical, when there is no need. I love this excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! I love this!! What a great subject to bring up! And so true! I think you are very positive!!! It's what I love about you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails