Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Quotable Quotes

There is one quote that sits at the top of my blog, It's by Flannery O'Conner. You may have already read it. It's the best expression of why I write. It says, "I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say." That is so true for me. I can make sense of the world when I'm writing. I like to write letters to people to tell them how I'm feeling. I write in my journal to figure out why I'm feeling a certain way. I write fiction as an outlet for an excess of feeling or thought that has to be used up or it will drive me crazy and keep me up at night. :)

Good Quotes either express just how I feel, or enlighten me with a description of something that I didn't realize I felt until that very moment. Here are a few of my favorite quotes. I read them when I need a reminder of why I write, or how I should write.

So I would love to hear one of your favorite quotes if you would like to share.


Quotes

Write from the soul, not from some notion of what you think the marketplace wants. The market is fickle; the soul is eternal.
-Jeffrey A. Carver

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

First, find out what your hero wants, then just follow him!
- Ray Bradbury

I am irritated by my own writing. I am like a violinist whose ear is true, but whose fingers refuse to reproduce precisely the sound he hears within.
- Gustave Flaubert

Observe, don't imitate.
- John M. Ford

A writer never has a vacation. For a writer life consists of either writing or thinking about writing.
- Eugene Ionesco

7 comments:

  1. I love all those quotes and that last one is so true. My sister has a quote on the mirror in her kids' bathroom that I really like. It's by Albus Dumbledore and it goes: "It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." I've always liked that quote. And by the way, I hope one day people will quote one of my characters. It is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great quotes!

    One of my favorites:
    “You fail only if you stop writing.” ~ Ray Bradbury

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

    It's a good thing too, cuz I don't have any of those things!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Feywriter! This is a few of my favorites:

    It is never too late to be what you might have been --Gorge Eliot

    Trust yourself you know more than you think you do --Dr Spock

    Whether you think you can or think you can’t you’re right --Henry Ford

    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step --Lao Tzu

    With God Anything is Possible

    LOL! And then of course the one on my blog, When I meet a stranger I expect them to act a little strange. (from Sydney White)

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love movies, a lot!!!! So here are some of my favorite movie quotes I apply to my life to keep me inspired and motivated. You might question some but interpret them as you may, they motivate me:
    "Life is pain Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something!" Princess Bride, "Live long and prosper!" Star Trek, "No one puts Baby in the corner!" Dirty Dancing, "Never give up! Never surrender!" Galaxy Quest, "I knew we'd be kindred spirits" Anne of Green Gables, "Keep moving forward!" Meet the Robinson's, "The Future has arrived today!" also from one of my favorite songs in Meet the Robinson's...there are so many more but "That'll do pig...That'll do!" from Babe."Asta la vista...baby!","After all, tommorow is another day!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite is "If it's not fun, you're not doing it right." by Bob Basso :)

    So many cool quotes here! You guys got all my other favorites first! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, ladies. I have some new favorites to add to my list!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails