Thursday, July 30, 2009

Squidward can't make Krabby Patties


So I'm sitting on the couch folding laundry while my children are watching Spongebob (I know, not exactly educational programming, but hey, it makes me laugh). It was the episode where Spongebob and Squidward are competing for employee of the month. Towards the end of the episode as the two are doing crazier and crazier things to try to get Mr. Krabs attention, Squidward starts frying up Krabby Patties. My eight year old daughter, who is sitting next to me mutters under her breath, "I thought Squidward couldn't make Krabby Patties."

There are two lessons I learned from her indignation. One, my kids watch way too much Spongebob. And, two, your characters have to stay true to themselves no matter what situation you put them in. If you've already established that your character cannot do something, you can't have them doing it in another chapter/scene/book just to prove a point. Especially if you write for children or middle grade. Kids are smart and not as willing to overlook character breaches as adults are. So learn a lesson from Squidward and make sure your characters stay in character.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome Kasie! I love this and it's true... he CAN'T make Krabby Patties! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE spongebob! What a great post! And you're right, we so should stay true to our characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. I just hate it when a character does something so out of character. It made me think about the sequel to gone with the wind written by another author. Both books have merit, but I never felt like it was a sequel. The style of writing, and the mannerisms of the characters were too different.

    Maybe someone needs to inform the spongebob writers. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails