Sunday, January 17, 2010

The importance of service...

My head has been spinning non-stop with promotial/marketing ideas since I first starting writing. I mean if I'm doing something for the Lord, then I better get as many people as I can to know about it, right? It's my constant focus and prayer, to come across great ways to advertise. So do you know when I get my best ideas for advertising? Who am I kidding? I get my best ideas for writing new books, editing my own work, AND advertising... when I'm serving others.

I write best, think best, and work best when I'm helping others period.

So if you're struggling with your writing, editing, or promoting... get out there and request to help other authors on their way, you will be blessed. Very, very blessed for your efforts. The Holy Ghost will enlighten you in many different ways on how to succeed. Don't wait for inspiration to hit you--go out, find someone to serve and help--then the inspiration will come.

I promise. It's biggest secret to writing. Helping others.

So guess what I do every Sunday? Instead of working for myself, I reserve this day for serving others. Now, you'll have to excuse me, I have an awesome book called Oracle written by a friend of mine to finish editing...

Enjoy, Jenni.

3 comments:

  1. That is so true! Good for you. I know I had the opening scene of my novel come to me while washing the doors at the church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder, Jenni! Too often I think - I'm too busy for that, I must write! But taking time out to help other people is really important.

    One thing I love about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is all the opportunities it has given me to serve with writing, like Primary Sacrament Meeting Presentations, scripts for Relief Society Birthday Dinner presentations and other activities. I also enjoy interviewing my grandparents and recording family history stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you, Jenni! I have found that such a consolation when I hit a huge gap of writer's block. I helped others until the Lord saw fit to fill my again! And still I strive to help others on their way!

    Wonderful post, thank you!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails