Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Decisions, Decisions

by Tamara Passey

I’m doing something I don’t normally do. Okay, I’m doing a few things I don’t normally do. The first: I’m rewriting my first draft. The second? I’m asking for opinions. Sure, I ask for opinions on my clothes, hair, cooking, etc. On my writing? That’s harder to do. But this rewriting business is tough stuff. I knew when I was plowing through the rough draft I was leaving myself a few dilemmas to solve. So here I am. I have some decisions to make and I’m enlisting your help.

I want to know what you think about the format I currently have with two main characters and switching POV–every chapter. The first chapter is from Angela’s POV and the second chapter is from Mark’s POV, etc. I happen to like “seeing” or “hearing” both sides of a romance. I like, as a reader, knowing what is going on in each character’s mind – especially when the other characters are not aware of it. It is challenging to write this way for a few reasons, one being the time-line of the narrative. So – I am wondering what you think. Do you like novels with one POV? Do you like multiple POV’s? And can anyone think of a double main character novel they liked? Or didn’t like? Don't hold back. I need all the help I can get. (But you already knew that!)

Thanks & Have a great writing day!

5 comments:

  1. I like novels with multiple points of view. One it's a little different from main stream so it's kind of refreshing to read. It's different and so long as it is written well I enjoy it. However, there is always a however, I don't like knowing everything that is going on in all the characters heads, it does take some of the fun out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love two points of view! But, I agree with Sugoi that you need to be careful not to reveal everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't write a story from one POV. From what I have learned about it seperation by chapters is the best, and you can do multiple chapters before you get to your other charactor. The book I just finished, (that was fun to say) I do 2-3 chapters from one POV then go to the other charactors, and do 1-2 from them. I like the way it feels. Read threw it and see how your book feels for you!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies. I am going to go back and read to see how much I reveal. I also might consider putting more chapters together before switching. This feels less overwhelming now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like two POV's. I like "seeing" both sides of the story.:) This is funny, because I blogged about this same topic yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails