Monday, September 6, 2010

Failed Already

Two weeks ago I wrote about my goal to not delete for a month. I did it, I deleted. It's more difficult than I thought it would be to not delete. It's impulsive, I'm finding that I have to retrain myself to just leave it be. I think as writers we want to make anything that isn't our best disappear.

I saw an amusing character on Grey's Anatomy. He was a writer that was so disappointed in his work that he printed the entire book and ate it. Of course that's the stupidest thing you could do but I understand that feeling. There are times that I look at what I wrote and am embarrassed by it, I want to lock it in the deepest darkest safe I can find and never look at it again. It's a good thing, in that case, that we can revise and edit and make it better.



So, this is a new week and I'm starting again. No more deleting.

3 comments:

  1. I do the same thing. I've been writing by hand lately which cuts down on the deleting. Now if I could just decipher my handwriting I'd be all set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty funny Lisa. I tried to write by hand but after about 20 minutes my hand gets tired...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I can funtion without my delete key. That would be a real test, but a worthwhile one as it might get the creative juices flowing once they caught on that the editor (delete button) was off-duty. Interesting challenge.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails