Monday, September 13, 2010

Home

I've been working really hard all week on a narrative for my English class. This narrative is about a particular event in my life that has shaped much of what I do and write. I thought I'd share an excerpt with you. It may seem that this starts in the middle of something, it does. While I can get personal there are things that I write about that lead up to this point that I'd rather not be posted on the web. I'll give you the short of it - when I was a teenager I ran away from home, the gospel, and everything that was good for me. This is the point at which I decide to come home. Enjoy.

Home (excerpt)
by Sugoi Harris


I began hating myself. Mirrors were my enemy, I didn’t like the person I’d become but I didn’t know how to change. Desperate for something, I moved again. Another family took me in to their litter of strays, spaying me and filling my food dish.
I think that’s how it started. I began to change. Like water on a hot day the hate and pain evaporated. I began to realize something was missing. A sink hole had formed in my soul and it needed to be filled. Sitting at the bottom of this hole I thought about the mess I had made of myself. I couldn’t scratch my way to the surface, I was stuck.
Despair overwhelmed me as I contemplated on where I was really going. I felt dirty, unworthy of anything. Just as the black hole was overwhelming me I saw a point of light. I had a thought or rather I heard a voice that wasn’t my own. Your Father loves you, He will always love you, and He wants you home. As though it was real I felt the warmth of his arms encircle me. I think I always knew that truth. Though I had hated the restrictions my parents put on me I understood that in removing their bands I had only created my own tighter ones. They did love me and they would always want me home. Just like that I was the prodigal daughter returned home again.
That evening I called my father. “Daddy I want to come home.” That was all I said, like something from a country song. I could hear the tears of joy in his voice as he welcomed me back. Salty tears ran rivers down my own face as I fell into a corner, relief washing me clean again.

5 comments:

  1. This is so awesome, Sugoi! The writing is strong and the message even stronger. It's the same for our Father in Heaven. No matter what we do or how far we wander He will always be waiting for us to come home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nikki!! When I heard that I knew right away that is was the Holy Ghost telling me that both my father here and my Father in Heaven want me home. It was quite the experience. Though I hope to never get myself in that position again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Thank you for sharing that.

    I love this line: "Though I had hated the restrictions my parents put on me I understood that in removing their bands I had only created my own tighter ones." That is so utterly true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful and touching! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sugoi, great narrative & powerful emotion. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails